Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Before you go to sleep at night...

Before you go to sleep at night, take a moment to feel your whole body. I try to do this every night in bed, but it is so relaxing I usually fall asleep before I finish feeling my whole body. I start at my toes and I am passed out by the time I reach my torso. Another thing you can do is quietly lie there and listen to the sounds outside. There may be crickets chirping, cars going by, wind in the trees, dogs barking, people talking, airplanes in the sky etc, listen for anything and be aware of everything that you hear. Use every thought that passes through your mind as a cue to start trying to listen again. If it is warm feel the warm air on your skin, if it is cold feel that cold but cozy feeling you get under your covers. Feel every part of your body and the sensations that you feel; cold, warm, soft, hard, pulsating, and the up and down of your breath in your chest and stomach. 
If you are likely to fall asleep during this process, say a prayer before. A prayer does not have to be to someone else or a god, it can help you by evoking your deepest intentions and remind yourself of your spiritual journey. Before I go to bed, I say the Lord's Prayer, but only to myself. Our father (life, that which is, Truth) who art in heaven (heaven is where the truth lives) hollowed be thy name (I revere the Truth) Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven (when people wake up to the truth, there will be heaven on earth), give us this day our daily bread (i replace this with give us this night our restful sleep) and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us (let us be forgiven for things we do when we do not know the truth, and we will forgive those that know not what they do), and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil (and don't let our minds control us and tempt us, but let our spirits be in control of our minds and live) Amen (it means "i surrender" i surrender myself, i realize i have no control. i surrender my ego. )

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you say that prayer. I say it also and it is always a great comfort to me and puts me in touch with the truth and life, and keeps me going the right way. The person that told us that prayer says he is the truth and the life. It is the only prayer he says to say and it really says it all. It was obviouly divinely inspired.

    ReplyDelete