Monday, October 12, 2009

Pleasure and Pain

I have noticed that the more interested in pleasure I am the more addicted I become to it, and i cannot get out of the habit. If I eat one ice-cream cone, I start craving more ice-cream. Wanting things only makes the hole of emptiness in you grow bigger. Your mind makes you feel empty and like you need more, and it is a hard thing to break the habit of. We seek pleasure constantly in our daily life. We grudgingly do our work and dream of the pleasure we will get when we are done. The free time we will spend watching TV, hanging out with friend, or eating something tasty. When we are not doing those things, our mind is dreaming of them, and when we are doing those things, our expectation of them takes away from the experience. So we are constantly dissatisfied. Restless and dissatisfied from day to day. The wheel turns. 
Everytime I have a craving for something I wonder if I should really follow it. I know it is just an impermanent condition of my mind. But it is so convincing it is hard not to follow it. The only thing I can suggest to combat this problem is to feel your body, hear the noises around you, smell the air. Be fulfilled by your life in that moment. Do not be a slave to the conditions of your mind. 

1 comment:

  1. That is how we are contolled until we see the truth of the cycle and then we transcend it eventually and you can take certain pleasures fully without the balancing pain. You just have to know the right pleasures to take. If it promotes the truth and the life it is free pleasure. Pain will still come in this life, but be easier to endure until it passes. The important think is you will not be contolled by it as all animals are now.

    ReplyDelete